There is a rapidly increasing need for management of work related upper limb disorders (WRULDs).
These overuse type conditions typically have a gradual onset, and may have a history associated with a change in work practice and/or increased stress. Symptoms include: tiredness, heaviness, general aching, diffuse pain, feelings of weakness or stiffness and loss of function. This condition is also known as repetitive strain injury (RSI), cumulative trauma disorder or non specific arm pain (NSAP).
Hand therapists are often involved in managing these conditions, and use a variety of treatment approaches:
- Pain education and management
- Ergonomic advice
- Work Pattern advice/task modification
- Time and self-management techniques
- Neck and thoracic exercises
- Activity level monitoring
- Exercise and reconditioning